Water. It is Earth’s most precious and abundant resource. Our bodies are literally made of up to 60% water. Water replenishes our organs, revitalizes our skin, and helps keep us healthy. But did you know water also protects our teeth? Read on to find out how it helps fight cavities and rebuild our teeth!
Most city supplied drinking water is bolstered with fluoride. Fluoride is a naturally occurring mineral that naturally fights cavities by rebuilding the enamel that protects your teeth! While some people express concerns about fluoridation of water, drinking water with fluoride has been shown to be safe. Additionally, cities with fluoridated water show significant decreases in tooth decay among school-aged children. Drinking fluoridated water is recommended by the American Medical Association, American Academy of Pediatrics, American Dental Association, and the CDC. In fact, the CDC states, “the prevention of tooth decay through community water fluoridation is recognized by the CDC as one of 10 great achievements in public health of the 20th century.”
Washes Away Bacteria
This one is almost too obvious to state, but when you drink plenty of water, you wash away food debris and bacteria that grow in your mouth. As you eat, food particles are left behind. Bacteria feed off these particles, and create an acid as they consume the food. The acid left behind wears down your enamel and causes decay in your teeth. Besides brushing and flossing regularly, drinking plenty of water is one of the most effective ways to ward off tooth decay.
Combats Bad Breath
That bacteria we mentioned above? It doesn’t smell so hot. As bacteria overgrowth happens, you will start to notice that it effects your breath. That’s why brushing your teeth can help get rid of mouth funk- it helps remove that stinky bacteria that have built up in your mouth!
Saliva is incredible. It plays so many important roles in good oral health, which you can read more about here. Saliva is made up of 99% water! The other 1% is important nutrients and minerals that help clean and rebuild your teeth, but they can’t get around your mouth without enough water to carry them. When you drink enough water your body naturally produces plenty of saliva to help nourish your teeth and rinse away bacteria and food particles. Dry mouth can lead to more cavities, bad breath, and gum disease.
Calorie and Sugar-Free!
Some of the goals above could be accomplished by many liquid refreshments. However, water has the huge benefit of being calorie and sugar free! That means all the benefit without leaving behind harmful sugars on your teeth (or extra weight on your hips!) Additionally, drinking sugary drinks can increase your risk of developing diabetes by 26%! Diabetics struggle with gum disease and infections in their mouths, so that’s yet another way that water is a smart choice when you need a drink!
If in doubt, reach for a tall glass of good ‘ol water. The crisp fresh taste will bring a smile to your face, and that habit will help keep your smile bright for years to come!